Sunday, February 10, 2008

Introduction

Hello, UDL Folks!

I am a Master’s student in the Technology, Innovation, and Education (TIE) program at the Harvard Graduate School of Education.

I am interested in collaborative decision-making and community action, and the relative roles of empirical evidence and community/individual values in that process. After this year of study, I hope to do doctoral research in this vein, especially in regard to how it relates to technology in learning.

During this semester, I will be working with IBM's Visual Communication Lab to develop a visualization curriculum for high school students using the Many Eyes website. I hope that the things we learn in T-560 will help me understand better how visualization interacts with learning.

Also, I admit to some difficulty with the concept of "scaffolding," generally, so I look forward to engaging in lively debates with everyone about the topic.

2 comments:

rachelcurrierubin said...

Hi Emily,
The project you're working on seems really interesting.

I like how the website link from your blog has the data sets as well as the visual images. I think that switch from the raw data to the image is quite powerful.

I really like this website with links to graphs of all sorts of things. You may also be interested in taking a look at it.
http://www.visualizingeconomics.com/2008/01/13/share-of-population-growth-china-india-africa-latin-america-western-europe-united-states/

As I was looking at the graphs on your site and the site above, I thought how difficult it is to really think about what the numbers represented on the graphs mean (e.g., what does a population increase of a certain number of people mean for a country?). I wonder what this disconnect does to understanding. I very much look forward to reading your blog throughout the semester and perhaps learning more about visualization and learning.

Trish Comeau said...

Emily,

The Many Eyes website is very interesting. I think I have a better understanding of what is meant by visualization. It is funny, as a reading specialist, I have a slightly different interpretation of visualization-- based on the connection between reading comprehension and the ability to conceptualize and sequence images.

I was thinking that Many Eyes may have some application to our 6th grade social studies students as we study and compare countries in Africa and South Asia.

Thank you.

Trish Comeau